Please register now so you are approved to bid when auction starts.
Bids do not include VAT, buyer's premium or delivery.
Clicking the confirm button is legally binding obligation to buy and pay for the lot should your bid be successful.
We have noticed that your maximum bid is higher or equal to the buy it now price for this lot.
Would you like to discard your maximum bid and proceed with the buy it now option?
We are happy to organise the package and despatch of small items under 2kg when packed purchased on line or over the phone but must stress we are neither professional packers or shippers, we will try to accomodate your requirements after payment for the lots. Demand is high for this service and although we aim to have the items packed and ready to send within a week, we cannot guarantee this. We would like to remind all our customers that whilst we make every effort to pack suitably we can in no way take responsibility for the safe arrival of goods and take no liability for damage in transit.
If you bid via the-saleroom.com, please note that due to increased security measures, we will only dispatch parcels to the registered cardholders address. Any request for parcels to be sent to an alternative address will be at the discretion of the Auctioneer.
We are happy to quote prior to bidding on specific lots, please call or email
Most items are sent Royal Mail Special Delivery with full tracking.
For larger lots we advise on couriers and we can recommend Mailbox 01772256700 email email@example.com or Bradleys Furniture Carriers 01748 503101 email firstname.lastname@example.org
We do not pack fragile items such as glass/ceramics or records
Please contact the couriers direct for quotes pre and post sale
We do not ship overseas please contact a courier direct.
Buying Terms & Conditions
PLEASE READ THESE CONDITIONS OF SALE BEFORE BIDDING
1. Every Sale and these Conditions of Sale shall be governed by in accordance with English Law and shall be subject to the jurisdiction of English Courts. SOFAA conditions of business also apply, a copy of which is on display in the saleroom and on request.
2. 1818 Auctioneers act as Agents only in respect of goods delivered for the purpose of sale and herein shall be known as the ‘Auctioneers’. Persons instructing 1818 Auctioneers to sell goods are herein known as ‘Vendors’. Persons who have acquired lots offered for sale by the Auctioneers are herein known as ‘Purchasers’.
3. All persons attending a Sale under the conduct of the Auctioneers – whether at their Sale Rooms or elsewhere – shall be deemed to be on the land and premises at their own risk and shall have no claim against the Auctioneers or principals in respect of the cancellation/postponement of a Sale or any loss, accident or injury, howsoever occasioned, save in so far as the same is proven to be caused by the direct negligence of an employee(s) of 1818 Auctioneers.
4. The Auctioneers make every reasonable effort to ensure the accuracy of advertisements, catalogue descriptions and other publicity, but except where specifically instructed so to certify by a Vendor, declare that all statements, oral or in writing, are those of opinion only, made without responsibility and shall not give rise to any action in law for damages, compensation or recision of a sale by a Purchaser, against any Vendor, the Auctioneers or their employees.
5. Many lots are of an age or nature, which preclude them being in pristine condition. Some catalogue descriptions may make reference to damage and/or restoration; however, the omission of such a reference does not imply a lot is free from defects nor does any reference to a particular defect imply the absence of others.
6. Purchasers should, therefore, satisfy themselves by physical inspection of lots, before bidding, as to the origin, authenticity, quality, age, weight, size and general description – as lots are sold in their actual state with faults, imperfections or errors of description.
7. All electrical goods are PAT-tested at the Vendor’s expense. These goods are not tested for functionality and are without warranties or any guarantee as to their serviceability or working order unless stated.
8. Mechanical goods are sold on the strict understanding that these may not comply with the current Statutory Requirements and as such are offered for sale solely for display purposes or historical interest unless otherwise stated within the lot description.
9. Persons handling lots do so at their own risk and shall make good all loss or damage howsoever sustained; such estimate of the cost to be assessed by the Auctioneers, whose decision shall be final.
10. In making a bid, Purchasers acknowledge their attention has been drawn to these Conditions of Sale and that they are satisfied as to the description on the invitation of bids.
11. Lots are sold subject to any announcement, declaration, and alteration of description or other matters, made by the Auctioneers prior to the invitation of bids.
12. At the fall of the hammer, the highest bidder, acceptable to the Auctioneers, shall be the Purchaser and the Auctioneers, whose decision shall be absolute and final, shall settle any dispute.
13. The Auctioneers may divide, combine, add to or withdraw lots and make any catalogue alterations without notice or reason; they shall regulate the advance of bidding, accept or reject any bid (at their absolute discretion and without justification) and bid on behalf of the Vendor, where there is a reserve price or at their authorised discretion.
14. The Purchaser shall give his full name (and permanent place of abode) or appropriate bidding number, and upon failure to do so, the Auctioneers may offer the lots again, at their sole discretion.
15. As Agents only, the Auctioneers shall not be responsible for default on the part of the Vendor or Purchasers. Any resultant deficiency, together with interest, costs and expenses, shall be made good by the defaulter, recoverable as and for liquidated damages. This condition is, however, without prejudice to the right of the Auctioneers, in appropriate circumstances, to enforce the Sale Contract if they think fit.
16. The Contract of Sale is made with the Auctioneers, as Agents for the Vendors and payment shall only be made to them. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Auctioneers shall retain a lien on all goods, which shall not pass to the Purchaser until full payment has been received.
17. At the fall of the hammer, all lots shall be and remain in every respect at the absolute risk of the Purchaser, including those of fire, burglary, etc., and damage occasioned to lots by the removal of other goods.
18. Prospective Purchasers are requested to Register at the office upon arrival or before the commencement of the sale.
19. TERMS: Purchasers unknown to the Auctioneers must make prior arrangements to pay by cheque. Most major debit cards and credit cards are usually accepted, charges may apply.
20. No lots shall be removed from the premises until payment has been received in full.
21. Purchasers shall pay for and make arrangements to remove lots at their own risk and expense within a time agreed with the Auctioneers prior to the sale; after such time a daily charge of £1 per lot to cover storage and, where applicable, interest on outstanding accounts will be levied at 3% above Barclays Bank plc Minimum Lending Rate. Such additional charges being subject to the foregoing conditions regulating payment and no lots shall be released to a Purchaser until any excess charges have been paid. In any event, the Auctioneers reserve the right to resell uncollected lots by auction or private treaty or alternatively, warehouse goods at a Purchaser’s expense. In all cases, the Auctioneers may act without notice and any incidental expenses incurred will become a liability to the defaulter.
22. Notwithstanding any other terms in these Conditions of Sale, if within seven days of the Sale, a Purchaser gives notice in writing to the Auctioneers, that in his/her opinion a particular lot (this shall not apply to books or similar printed matter) is a deliberate forgery, as defined below and within fourteen days after such written notice, returns the lot to the Auctioneers in the same condition as it was at the time of the Sale – any by producing evidence, the burden of proof to be upon the Purchaser – satisfies the Auctioneers that the lot is a deliberate forgery, then the Auctioneers are authorised to and will rescind the transaction and refund the purchase price received by them. This benefit is not assignable. In the context of this guarantee, a ‘deliberate forgery’ means a lot made with an intention to deceive, when considered in the light of the catalogue entry and at the date of the Sale had a value substantially less than it would have had, had it been in accordance with the description. However, there will be no right where the description in the catalogue at the time of Sale was in accordance with the then general opinion. The Auctioneers reserve the right in forming their opinion to consult and rely upon any expert or authority considered by them to be reliable.
23. The Auctioneers are prepared to accept commission bids on behalf of intending Purchasers, unable to attend at the time of the Sale, providing requests are made in writing and up to one hour before the commencement of a Sale and given to the Auctioneer or the Auction Rooms’ Manager. Bids will be executed as cheaply as possible having regard for any reserves (if any) and competing bids. This service is undertaken free of charge but without responsibility. The Auctioneers cannot be held responsible for, nor are they connected with, commission bids given to Auction Room Porters or any other member of Auctioneers staff. On the occasion that two equal commission bids are received the first one received shall take priority. Telephone bids can also be executed but a request must be put in writing to the auctioneer and may be subject to a minimum opening bid.
24. A Buyers Premium of 20% inclusive of VAT is payable on purchases please refer to specific sale advert or catalogue for details.
1818 Auctioneers offer an online bidding service via the-saleroom.com for bidders who cannot attend the auction.
In completing the bidder registration on www.the-saleroom.com and providing your credit card details and unless alternative arrangements are agreed with 1818 Auctioneers you:
1. authorise 1818 Auctioneers, if they so wish, to charge the credit card given in part or full payment, including all fees, for items successfully purchased in the auction via the-saleroom.com, and
2. confirm that you are authorised to provide these credit card details to 1818 Auctioneers through www.the-saleroom.com and agree that 1818 Auctioneers are entitled to ship the goods to the cardholder name and cardholder address provided in fulfilment of the sale.
Please note that any lots purchased via the-saleroom.com live auction service will be subject to an additional 6% commission charge inclusive of VAT at the rate imposed on the hammer price
Further notes to buyers
1. Introduction. The following informative notes are intended to assist Buyers, particularly those inexperienced or new to our salerooms. All sales are conducted on our printed Conditions of Sale which are readily available for inspection and normally accompany catalogues. Our staff will be happy to help you if there is anything you do not fully understand.
2. Agency. As auctioneers, we usually contract as agents for the seller whose identity, for reasons of confidentiality, is not normally disclosed. Accordingly, if you buy your primary contract is with the seller.
3. Estimates. Estimates are designed to help buyers gauge what sort of sum might be involved for the purchase of a particular lot. The lower estimate may represent the reserve price and certainly will not be below it. Estimates do not include the Buyer’s Premium or VAT (where chargeable). Estimates are prepared before the sale and may be altered by announcement before the sale. They are in no sense definitive.
4. Buyer’s Premium. The Conditions of Sale oblige buyers to pay a buyer’s premium at 20% inclusive of VAT on the hammer price of each lot purchased.
5. VAT. (*) indicates that VAT is payable by the purchaser at the standard rate (presently 20%) on the hammer price. The double symbol (**) indicates that the lot has been imported from outside the European Union and the present position is that these lots are liable to a reduced rate of VAT on the gross lot price (i.e. both the hammer price and the buyer’s premium).
6. We are, primarily, agents for the seller. We are dependent on information provided by the seller and whilst we may inspect lots and act reasonably in taking a general view about them we are normally unable to carry out a detailed or any examination of lots in order to ascertain their condition in the way in which it would be wise for a buyer to do. Intending buyers have ample opportunity for inspection of goods and, therefore, accept responsibility for inspecting and investigating lots in which they may be interested. Please note carefully the exclusion of liability for the condition of lots contained in the Conditions of Sale. Neither the seller nor we, as the auctioneers, accept any responsibility for their condition. In particular, mechanical objects of any age are not guaranteed to be in working order. However, in so far as we have examined the goods and make a representation about their condition, we shall be liable for any defect which that examination ought to have revealed to the auctioneer but which would not have been revealed to the buyer had the buyer examined the goods. Additionally, in specified circumstances, lots misdescribed because they are ‘deliberate forgeries’ may be returned and repayment made. There is a 3-week time limit. (The expression ‘deliberate forgery’ is defined in our Conditions of Sale).
8. Export of goods. Buyers intending to export goods should ascertain (a) whether an export licence is required and (b) whether there is any specific prohibition on importing goods of that character because e.g. they may contain prohibited materials such as ivory. Ask us if you need help.
9. Bidding. Bidders may be required to register before the sale commences and lots will be invoiced to the name and address on the registration form. Some form of identification may be required if you are unknown to us. Please enquire in advance about our arrangements for telephone bidding.
10. Commission bidding. Commission bids may be left with the auctioneers indicating the maximum amount to be bid excluding buyers’ premium. They will be executed as cheaply as possible having regard to the reserve (if any) and competing bids. If two buyers submit identical commission bids the auctioneers may prefer the first bid received. Please enquire in advance about our arrangements for the leaving of commission bids by telephone.
11. Methods of Payment. Our preferred method is via debit card or BACS. As a general rule, any cheques tendered will need to be cleared before removal of the goods is permitted. Please discuss with our Office in advance of the sale if other methods of payment are envisaged (except cash).
12. Collection and storage. Please note what the Conditions of Sale state about collection and storage. It is important that goods are paid for and collected promptly. Any delay may involve the buyer in paying storage charges
We are continuing to run our popular online timed auctions for the foreseeable future. We are able to offer a click and collect service at the saleroom for successful bidders, or delivery/postage. Click and collect is strictly by appointment please call 015395 66201 for an appointment. Viewing will now be open at advertised times, if you wish to view outside of these hours then it must be by appointment. Please do wear a mask, use hand sanitiser and respect social distancing rules. Payments are kindly requested after 10.30am on Monday and before 4pm on Friday following an auction's close
PLEASE BE AWARE. Any bid placed within the last 10 minutes of the end time of a lot will extend the end time of that lot by 10 minutes. .
It is the purchasers responsibility to satisfy themselves of the age and condition of the items purchased before buying
We will discuss postage and shipping advice with you, most small items excluding ceramics & glassware weighing under 2KG that are NOT fragile when packed will be posted in house using special delivery
For fragile ceramic and glass lots please contact us for courier details
PLEASE NOTE WE DO NOT SHIP OVERSEAS. COURIER ONLY
Please contact us if you require postage before paying as this is included in your final invoice
For direct payment please use sort code 30-16-28 acc number 22425860 (NW Auctions t/a 1818 Auctioneers)
IBAN GB61LOYD30162822425860 BIC LOYDGB21572
Payment to be made within 5 days.